Ice Cream Sandwiches for Idiots

July 25, 2012

So who is the idiot here? The Saratoga Idiots got all hot and bothered about the lack of a “kick ass/interesting/inexpensive ice cream sandwich” in their town. And I don’t quite know how it happened, but now it looks like I’ve got Albany engaged in a city versus city showdown.

Yeah. Sorry about that.

As we speak the Saratoga Idiots and myself are trying hash out how this is all going to go down, and when. But while they’ve been building excitement around Spa City, I’ve been on the road and doing bupkis.

All Good Bakers is working on something and they have said good things about the ice cream sandwiches at the City Beer Hall. But Wheatfields in Saratoga Springs has already developed their entry. Take a look. And Saratoga can tap into Ice Cream Man and their 300+ flavors.

So today is a call for entries, a request for nominations, and a pep rally all in one.

When I think about which places in Albany could produce a great ice cream sandwich if they really put their minds to it, there are two establishments that come to mind immediately. One of them will be obvious, but the other one will probably surprise you.

#1 – Crisan

Kater, will you please try and get Claudia on board with this, because this is such a natural match for her talents as a baker and the glory that is the gelato case at the bakery. Now the trick is coming up with a winning combinations of flavors that’s interesting, fun, delicious and decidedly not boring.

#2 – Creo

I need to follow up with chef Brian on multiple topics, but when we last spoke there was a new pastry chef in town. And when I was there to try some of the summer menu, the best part of dessert was their homemade ice cream. As it so happens, one of the flavors that evening was beet. So yeah, I’m thinking if Creo really wanted to strut their stuff, they could bring some heat. I just wonder if they could do it on a budget.

As far as I see it, the ice cream sandwich doesn’t have to be large. A nice size scoop of ice cream and two cookies.

But surely there are other contenders that I’m overlooking. So readers, who do you think has a kickass ice cream sandwich? Or who do you think has the skills and desire to build one for this showdown?

Restaurants and bakeries, who among you are ready to step up to the challenge?

As the details of this event come together, I will make sure to keep you all posted. And in the future, I’m going to try and keep my mouth shut, instead of somehow getting myself in the middle of an idiotic Capital Region ice cream sandwich rivalry.

But for now, the only way out is through, because the idiots are committed to this damn thing. They must really love ice cream sandwiches. Let’s show them that the best ones come from Albany.

July 25, 2012 9:36 am

Go, Saratoga!

• July 26, 2012 11:19 am

Good lord that is one sexy ice cream sandwich. I would like to be alone with that.

2. July 25, 2012 11:08 am

No way!

LET’S GO, SARATOGA, LET’S GO! *clap clap*

3. July 25, 2012 11:23 am

As I mentioned on Twitter, I agree that City Beer Hall does an amazing ice cream sandwich. That being said, some of the best desserts I’ve had out lately were from the Gastropub. I bet they could come up with something creative. I’d also be willing to put some money on Ric Orlando being able to come up with something super creative and tasty.

• July 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Those oatmeal raisin cookies are ours (at All Good). We’re dreaming up new combos, Lauren is talking about watermelon semifreddo, depending on when the throwdown occurs. Looking forward to this one!!

4. July 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Mmmm. Ice Cream sammitches…. I always thought someone should make ice cream sammitches out of halfmoons. Mmmm… “Ice Cream Halfmoonwitch.”

• July 26, 2012 11:20 am

That’s a good idea. A lot of people use too hard of a cookie in their ice cream sandwiches and then when you take a bite, the ice cream shoots out the sides from the pressure. Bad form.

5. July 25, 2012 1:25 pm

As they would say on the Idiots blog, we are going to kick your (expletive deleted) from (expletive deleted) to (expletive deleted). So go (expletive deleted).

I hope to see an entry from Stewart’s. They are a Saratoga institution, after all.

6. July 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I guess the ice cream sandwiches I lovingly made at my Barnside Movie Party last summer didn’t impress you… wah wah waaaaah (minor heartbreak)

• July 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Cheer up buckaroo. That is so not true. Your ice cream sandwiches were tres impressive. It’s just that last I checked you weren’t selling them from a cart anywhere. Perhaps I should have clarified that this is a professional competition, and thus your good work went unreported.

• July 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Believe me, I’ve been asked if I would consider selling them. And I’ve truly thought about it, but I’ve probably got too much on my plate as it is.

7. July 25, 2012 2:22 pm

New World Bistro Bar makes yummy ice cream sandwiches

8. Scot permalink
    July 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Someone please talk to Johnny’s in Saratoga. They have awesome ice cream/Italian ices/gelato/frozen yogurt, and they already have their liege waffles. That’s should do the trick.

9. foodiemom permalink
    July 25, 2012 9:02 pm

I had the most amazing ice cream sandwich at NWBB Bar too. Creme Anglais was involved, need I say more?

10. Ellen permalink
    July 26, 2012 10:53 am

Different ice cream sandwich on the dessert menu every night at NWBB! Major reason for dining there!