The New Cruelty

January 1, 2013

Happy new year! It’s 2013 and we’re headed off the fiscal cliff. Whee!

Last year at this time I wrote about a great new year’s breakfast: poached eggs on toast. It’s awesome and easy, and you should totally click on that link to see how to do it in forteen simple steps.

This year is going to be different, well at least the first few months of it anyway. It’s not that I believe poached eggs are unhealthy, they aren’t. However just to be on the safe side I plan to limit my intake of all my favorite foods.

So what does breakfast look like now?

Thank God I don’t suffer from a gluten intolerance, because 100% whole grain toast is going to be a staple of my diet. In the past I’ve been topping it with an organic oil-based spread which now I am reevaluating. And by reevaluating, I really mean avoiding.

But plain toast is too depressing. Butter is what I want, but that’s out of the question. I suppose I could brush it with olive oil, but that’s a pain in the tuchus.

My answer is some smashed avocado.

Honestly, I don’t even know who I am anymore. I’m starting to sound like some vegan freak. Just remember I’ve got my eyes on the prize. The goal here is to lower my triglycerides so I can get back to some of my favorite animal fats, but maybe this time with a little bit more moderation.

To accompany the toast I’m going to segment some red grapefruit. Grapefruit and avocado are a match made in heaven, and segmenting out a citrus is a fun party trick. The neat thing is that the more you do it, the easier it gets.

I was going to explain how to do this in words, but here’s a good video instead. This guy makes it look easy. Personally, I tend to cheat and making two cuts per each segment, mostly because my knives are dull as hell.

That means I’m left with more fruit on the corpse of the grapefruit in the end. However I squeeze the dickens out of that thing and enjoy a bit of fresh squeezed juice with my membrane free fruit.

Yeah, it’s going to be a hell of a year. In addition there is an old friend that’s now back in my life thanks to my newly found outlook on healthy eating. Hello Grape-Nuts. Now to be fair, there may be some who take a contrary view to this cereal’s healthfulness. There will certainly be time to discuss that in the days and weeks ahead.

Good times.

I’m headed back upstate later today. Luckily few people actually want to go to Albany, so the traffic shouldn’t be bad. But I’m looking forward to getting into a regular posting schedule. I’ve got some things on my mind, and they’ve got to come out.

1. January 1, 2013 11:01 am

For one month I have been doing the ketogenic diet (high fat, less then 20g carbs per day). I am not overweight, my diet is purely for reasons of male vanity and my blood pressure/cholesterol/etc… are all excellent. I run more than your average bear and weight train a few times a week, but I am not a fitness maniac. I have had very good results with the keto diet and my BP/Cholesterol have staid stable or improved during the diet. That is all to say that your high carb/low fat plan may do more damage than good. The human body loves fat and exercise, that is my mantra.

2. Scott permalink
    January 1, 2013 12:25 pm

Daniel- Good luck, but I totally agree with Dave…. Happy New Year.

January 1, 2013 1:19 pm

Follow Mr. Dave’s advice and you will do well.

4. January 1, 2013 11:28 pm

My husband was asking me about this today, and I didn’t really have any answers. What we need are some ideas for breakfasts that don’t take much effort to make (so he’ll actually bother to eat breakfast), but are filling, but are also healthy. We’re kinda stumped: Our fallbacks are oatmeal (not filling) and eggs (not healthy).

5. January 1, 2013 11:30 pm

Aren’t Grape-Nuts full of strange byproducts?

Also, once you get your cholesterol reading you are going to have to cut out the grapefruit because it interacts with the statins you will be taking. Just saying.

6. January 2, 2013 12:35 pm

I feel your pain.

7. -R. permalink
    January 2, 2013 2:00 pm

I feel Daniel’s pain as well, but I don’t sympathize one iota. Why are you so damn stubborn? One pill, before bed. Done. Eat freely and enjoy life, without having to shovel down Grape Nuts, which is perhaps my most despised cereal ever: they have the consistency of eating aquarium stone, and even a small bowl seemingly never goes away, but mysteriously multiplies as you eat more and more. Awful, terrible muesli.

Fine, be difficult. Without sufficient amounts of exercise, you’ll never get the numbers you want via diet alone. Been there, done that.

8. Chris VanDoren permalink
    January 2, 2013 7:40 pm

Dave’s advice is close to mine. I went for 2 weeks with no carbs and then went to sensible carbs after that and it somehow magically resolved all my doctor’s concerns. Most amazing was my blood sugar which immediately went from a consistent 105ish to low 70s and stayed there for a year now. Fat is not the enemy.
    BTW, you must be enjoying the news/research about HFCS that came out today… maybe you are not so fussy.

9. Jim Lewis permalink
    June 7, 2013 4:16 pm

My experience was that, when monitored by blood tests, my cholesterol didn’t change much with diet (unless I was fasting) but changed significantly with exercise. Then I started reading about C-reactive enzyme vs. cholesterol vis a vis heart issues, and it seems the focus is on the wrong culprit.

As to taking a $7-a-day pill that shrinks your libido like it does your whatzis, it never occurred to me that this was something healthy for my heart, the organ most associated with the emotion of love.

Then I started with a chiropractor/ nutritionist, who pointed out that humans NEED cholesterol for rebuilding cell walls (according to him, less than 140 is sketchy), and that the myelin sheath on nerves is fatty insulation (perhaps why the ultra-high fat diet works for intractable epileptics.) I’m back eating animal fats. In sensible quantities, but the first on my list is butter.