Sechs Deutsch Winzer Gehen in eine Kneipe

March 2, 2013

German is a very simple language I’ve been told, however it’s still a mystery to me. So you’ll have to forgive the title of this very rare Saturday FLB post. If Google Translate has set me on the right path it says, Six German Winemakers Walk into a Bar. But really it could say anything.

For some reason I blindly trust Google far more than I probably should.

Here’s the exciting news, the bar they are walking into is the Charles F. Lucas Confectionery and Wine Bar in Troy. And they aren’t just there to hang out. They are there to conduct a tasting of their wines which represent several of the country’s different wine growing regions.

There are three reasons why this event is getting me to break my prohibition against Saturday posts. One is that learning about German wines is something that everyone in New York State should want to do (since our climate is more Germanic than Mediterranean). Two is that the event is coming up shortly, Monday evening to be precise. Three is that Vic at the wine bar has generously offered me two tickets, one of which I’m willing to share with a lucky reader.

If you want to win, you have to move fast.

Regardless of if you win this little contest, you should still absolutely buy a ticket to this event. And that’s not the free ticket talking. I swear I was going to pay to go to this even though it’s early on a school night and required some intense negotiations with Mrs. Fussy.

Here’s the press release from the event:

When it comes to world-class wine, most Americans think California, France or Italy first. But this Monday, a Troy wine bar will help show that Germany rivals all others in aromatic, ultra refreshing white wine production.

On March 4, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., The Charles F. Lucas Confectionery and Wine Bar will host six German winemakers, representing five classic wine growing regions of their country. During the event, each winemaker will present sample wine selections from their estate, paired with artisanal cheeses selected by the Confectionery staff.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for upstate wine enthusiasts,” said Heather LaVine, Confectionery co-owner. “Having this many talented winemakers in one space is extremely rare.“The following winemakers are scheduled to attend:

Karin Fischer, Dr. Fischer (Saar Region)

Derek Vinnicombe, Dr. Thanisch and Bollig Lehnert (Mosel Region)
Ursula Muller, G.A. Schneider (Rheinhessen Region)
Frank Hayden, Dr. Heyden (Rheinhessen Region)
Achim Eberle, Fitz Ritter (Pflaz Region)

Paul Anheuser, Anheuser (Nahe Region)

Vic Christopher, assistant general manager of the Confectionery, is quick to point out that the tradition of winemaking in upstate New York has German roots.

“There’s a lot of guys from Germany in the Finger Lakes doing good stuff with wine because the climate’s similar,” said Christopher.In the past, German wines were always considered “sticky-sweet,” but in recent years modern German winemakers have started to make white wines in much drier style to match consumer demand.

Frederick Wildman & Sons Importers are underwriting the event.

Cost for the event is $25 per person, which includes wine tasting samples and cheese. Tickets available at www.lucasconfectionery.com

You get that these are the winemakers. Not just their marketing representatives. These are the people who know their wines inside and out. You’ve got questions, they’ve got answers. And each one promisses to bring multiple wines from their estate.

I’ll have more on the winemakers tomorrow.

For now, let’s focus on the winning. Because the clock is ticking. By midnight tonight I’ll have selected a winner. Just leave a comment below about your self-assessed knowledge of German wines from one (Germany makes wine?) to ten (you know how many days of sunshine each growing region gets per year) AND a couple of words about why you are most excited about this event. A winning entry will be picked from all qualifying comments at random later tonight. Comments need to be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (Saturday, March 2, 2013) DEADLINE EXTENDED: Entries will be accepted until 9:30 a.m. Sunday, March 3. The winner will be announced later on Sunday. If you enter, please make sure that you can actually make the event on time. And as always, no whining.

If you don’t win there should still be enough time to buy tickets to the eventGood luck. I’m looking forward to seeing you all there.

- – -

Note: More detailed information about the winemakers, wineries, and wines they will be pouring is now available here.

16 Comments
  1. March 2, 2013 7:02 pm

I’m sorry . . . I really didn’t read the article. What are you giving away?

(Joking, of course! I am totally booked on Monday . . . but this looks like an amazing event. )

2. Amelia permalink
    March 2, 2013 7:02 pm

I’m probably a 2 on the German wine scale, but I have a deep and abiding love of esoteric facts and wine in general, so I would LOVE to attend this event.

3. March 2, 2013 7:17 pm

Ooh! My knowledge of German wine is not as much as other places, though it is getting better. I would say I am about a 6-7. C is closer to a 8-9. Of course, I am reserving 10 for sommalier level.

Anyway, I am excited about this because I love Riesling, especially in the summer, and we are approaching springtime. Also, C and I got married at a vineyard in the Finger Lakes, which as you know has similarly perfect Riesling growing conditions.

Also, my husband is a 1st generation German-American, if that counts for anything. (It should, right?)

4. March 2, 2013 7:35 pm

German wine knowledge 2: I know they make wine and I have actually drunk some once or twice! Why should I win? Because I love Charles F. and wine, and I will be in Troy Monday night for a photography class, and think that cla followed by glass would be wonderfully poetic!

5. March 2, 2013 7:47 pm

Honestly I know zilch about German wines, other than Riesling being of German origin. But I do like wine. Can’t even tell you if I actually had one from there.

But I am a professional student. I likes to learn.

6. Theresa518 permalink
    March 2, 2013 7:51 pm

Is it possible to be a negative number? I would give myself a one on your scale-O-knowledge for German wines. I am not from New York and really need to learn to appreciate the Finger Lakes style of wines.

I should win because I have been a paying customer three times in the past 10 days and my discretionary spending needs to be curbed….but I love the place soooooo much!

7. March 2, 2013 8:41 pm

I am like a 2. I know they make wine, but don’t ask me how to pronounce/butcher the written words. The confectionary is an awesome spot, and I’d love to see how these guided wine tastings go.

8. Ali permalink
    March 2, 2013 9:20 pm

My knowledge of German Wines is slim at best but I do love all types of wine and having recently taken a trip to the Finger Lakes I’d relish a bit of taste comparison. Not to mention I think you be a very interesting person to meet in person although I feel a bit like I know you already between your blog and twitter

9. March 2, 2013 10:18 pm

I would say I’m probably at a 7 or 8. I’ve been to Germany several times, and my father’s side of the family still grows grapes for a cooperative winery in the Wurttemburg region. I’m excited to get to talk with some other German wine growers! (Please don’t put me in the drawing though, I’ve already bought a ticket.)

10. Kate H permalink
    March 2, 2013 10:45 pm

I grew up with Grüner Veltliner wines, but I know that German wines aren’t that different from Austrian but that’s all I know so I give myself a 5 or so.

11. Jenny permalink
    March 2, 2013 10:45 pm

I place my knowledge at a 4. 25 1/2 years ago (OMG — 25 1/2 years! I can’t believe I am that old!) I went to my first wine tasting event ever around a professor’s table in the Rhinegau in Germany as part of a summer study abroad program. I learned a bit about German wines then, but I didn’t know much about wines in general. Since that afternoon, I have always loved my German wines, even when my friends have turned up their noses for more popular Chardonnays. Now that my knowledge of all wines has increased a bit, but my memories of Germany are more distant, I would love to repeat a German wine tasting event with the winemakers themselves. Thanks for publicizing this event.

12. Jenna C. permalink
    March 3, 2013 10:07 am

I’m a 2, tops. I know they make wine. I know Riesling and Gewurztraminer (though not well enough to spell them correctly. Thank you Google Chrome spell check). I’m excited about all good things happening in Troy, especially one that involves making me a more educated consumer of delicious beverages.

13. Kathleen permalink
    March 3, 2013 10:24 am

On a scale from trocken to sub, I am about at halbtrocken. I had a lot more memorized when I was cramming for my CSW test.

14. Kathleen permalink
    March 3, 2013 10:34 am

Part Two: I am excited for this tasting because 1. It’s in Troy and 2. Guided tastings always serve to improve my palate.

15. emily l permalink
    March 3, 2013 10:57 am

My knowledge level is about a 3. I know a couple of typical German varietals and German wines were all we drank when I was growing up at family holidays like Passover and Thanksgiving. I’m super excited about this event because I’ve never been to the Confectionary! I tried to go during the Victorian Stroll but it was packed.

16. March 3, 2013 11:20 am

I’m entering for the hubby who is German and very into his heritage AND very into wines, but since we are new parents have barely made it out of the house to anything in the last month and he would probably LOVE this! As for me, my knowledge of German anything is limited to food pretty much, and gewurztraminer :), so negative numbers indeed. But man, what a treat this would be for him! He gets excited about anything German in this area.

Comments are closed.