I Want Candy

October 31, 2009

Mrs. Fussy loves anything sweet.  If I bring it into the house, even if it’s for me, she will eat it before I have the chance.  Although I know she has an especially soft spot in her heart for Snickers.

Her mom also has a sweet tooth.  Apparently she drops into the Boyer’s Mallo Cup factory store so often, she is a fixture there.  As a side note, if you have never had a Mallo Cup fresh from the factory, I would argue you have never had a Mallo Cup.  When they are fresh, the mallow center is remarkably soft and runny, not firm and gummy like you will find on most store shelves.

Young Master Fussy seems to go through stages.  Recently he has had a thing for lollipops, especially the Dum-Dum variety pack (although he doesn’t care for the root beer ones).

You may not have guessed this, but my favorite candy generally shifts with my mood.

At the movie theater, I go for long-lasting options.  Things with a lot of pieces to them that can last through the picture.  If I’m feeling like chocolate, I’ll have the Sno-Caps.  If I just had a big meal, and am feeling a little heavy, I’ll get the Junior Mints.  Otherwise I love a big pack of red Twizzlers.  I have an OCD way of eating the Twizzlers too, but you don’t get to hear about it.

Generally I do not go for the mass-market candies.  Even as a child, I remember going to a bulk candy store, and my favorite thing to get would be the chocolate rum cordials.  Glossy spheres of chocolate, that surrounded a smaller candy sphere filled with sweet rum-flavored liquid.  There were also these other chocolate squares called Ice Cubes that somehow had a cool melting center.  Now I realize they were probably just pumped full of vegetable oil.

And then there are some delightfully unusual candies from around the world.  Tristur, from Iceland, is a chocolate-coated black licorice and caramel confection that is unusually delicious.  They have so many forms of licorice there it will make your head spin.  And of course there are all the British Cadbury treats that rarely make it overseas.  I even hear the Kit-Kat bars are better in the UK.

But today is not about the movies, or about the unusual, or the imported.  Today is all about supermarket candy.  So I have to ask myself, “If I were trick-or-treating, and I came to a house with all of those grocery store candies, and I was allowed to choose just one to put in my sack?”

It would be Twix.
No doubt.

Crunchy cookie.  Chewy caramel.  Rich chocolate.  It’s a layered textural and flavor experience like no other.

There are a lot of candies that are similar.  Snickers has nuts instead of a cookie.  They crunch, but not with the same magnitude.  Plus all the nougat gets in the way.  Butterfinger has great crunch, but its ratio of chocolate to candy is way under-balanced.  Kit-Kat has the crisp cookie and chocolate, but is sadly missing the chewy element.

On the off chance that you are giving out Twix tonight, and have any left after they have been ravaged by hoards of princesses, pirates, ghosts and goblins…I know of someone who could give them a good home (when he gets back from D.C.).

1. October 31, 2009 12:37 pm

The movie theater around the corner from us in Brooklyn used to let me in to buy Snowcaps when the craving hit. I loved the illicit nature of movie candy not at the movies.

Now they carry them in Walgreens, which takes the fun out of it.

As far as supermarket candy goes, I’d have to go with Blow-pops. It’s all about that 30 seconds when you just first start chewing the gum and it has all those little delicious chunks of lollypop in it. Delish.

I have to suffer to get there, though, because lollypops have always made my tongue bleed. It can’t just be me…why does no one else ever complain about that?

2. phairhead permalink
    October 31, 2009 1:23 pm

The Dutch also love their licorice. I went on holiday to Northern England and yes, Mr. Fussy, it’s true. British chocolate is infinitely better than American chocs.

3. October 31, 2009 3:01 pm

Snickers are definitely up there for me. At the moment it is a battle of wills, and I am hoping some early trick or treaters will come by so I can at least know they will eat some.
    Oddly enough though, when I was buying candy yesterday (it will disappear otherwise) I had a really hard time deciding between twix and snickers. That caramel and cookie combo was very tempting. I’m talking, like 5-10 minutes staring at the candy. I’m hopeful they’ll go on clearance tomorrow, and then I can have my fix.

4. October 31, 2009 4:17 pm

Alex visited us in the summer and brought some candy with him: Twix and Kit Kat. I’ve never really been a huge fan of either, but when I saw him throw them into the freezer I have to admit that I was intrigued.

Let me tell you something: if you have never had a frozen Twix, you simply must try it. It was like a little piece of heaven.

5. Ellen Whitby permalink
    October 31, 2009 9:27 pm

Yes, the British version of chocolate is much better than the American one. When I was in England, I actually made it out to Birmingham to have a factory tour of Cadbury’s and they gave out lots of free samples. What a treat.

In our house, “candy” consists of any kind of chocolate and we range from reeses (for the husband and one boy), M&Ms (for another boy) and Cadbury bars (for me). If the candy isn’t chocolate, we don’t welcome it into our house.

For today, we stocked up on Lindt Truffles (knowing that we would have very few-if any-trick or treaters). Ah….the joy of Halloween.

6. November 1, 2009 12:16 pm

I go for Reese’s PB Cups — esp. the pb cup pumpkins — Raisinets or peanut m&m’s if we’re talking run-of-the-mill candies. Sometimes I get the Cadbury fruit and nut bars. In Poland, I bought lots of great chocolate bars. Wonderful stuff!

Of course, most of the time if I want chocolate, I like the organic dark chocolate bars, especially the Dagoba blueberry lavender. Ugh. So good.

7. BenP permalink
    November 8, 2009 9:43 pm

Dan, you should read Candy Freak by Steve Almond if you have not read it already. It is a fun bit of light-weight food writing.

Also, the most impressive thing that you can get at the Boyer candy factory remains the five-pound cardboard box of rejected Mallo Cups.