Little Miss Fussy Loves

June 5, 2011

I don’t blog parties. I don’t blog weddings. I don’t pick apart the food I am served when I am a guest. It’s rude.

Sure, restaurants may call their customers guests, but they are not. They are paying customers. And it’s a different thing when a business is trying to sell you something than when a friend or loved one is being generous with their hospitality. So invite me over. I’ll eat what I’m served, and even if it’s Subway sandwiches, I will try to make the best of it. And whether I like it or not, I’m going to keep it to myself.

That means I’m not going to tell you all about the food at my cousin’s wedding this weekend, nor am I going to tell you about the wine or the cocktails. But thanks to the passed hors d’oeuvres I did learn something very interesting about Little Miss Fussy.

She loves lamb chops.

Not just any lamb chops, but the ones that have been Frenched so that you can pick up the bone in your hand and use it like a toothpick. It turns out Little Miss Fussy wasn’t the only child to love the lamb. Other kids were swarming the waiters who were walking around the party.

It got to be a little intense, and for a period of time I couldn’t socialize with much of my family. Little Miss Fussy was on a mission to find the man with the meat sticks, and I was her guide.

This was not the first wedding I’ve seen this lamby treat being walked around, and surely it will not be the last. But I was surprised by my daughter’s love of lamb. And it made me realize that we haven’t really eaten a lot of it at home.

Obviously this omission will soon be corrected.

Lamb is delicious. But I never imagined that this fuller flavored meat would go over so well with young kids. And now that I know, I will try to bring it into the house more. Seriously, you would never believe how many lamb chops that little girl packed away. It was staggering. Maybe I shouldn’t bring them into the house after all. Her lamb chop habit could break the bank.

But there are plenty of other tasty things to do with lamb. Lamb meat balls come to mind. And what kid doesn’t like eating things that look like balls.

I’ve got to run. Family to see and a long long trip back to Albany. Then I hope things settle down for a little while.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Two Years Ago Today: It’s Fair to Compare

1. June 5, 2011 11:31 am

Curious to discover if it was the lamb that was appealing, or meat on a stick bone.

2. AddiesDad permalink
    June 5, 2011 11:42 am

Profussor,

May I recommend Elihu farms as your source for happy lamb? They will accommodate special orders and cuts, and the lamb is truly remarkable. I frenched three racks just yesterday for a charity dinner I was catering. Not only was the presentation of the clean bones nice, but the lamb was extremely tasty. I find the very nice folks from Elihu at the Saratoga Farmers Market, but I’m not sure if they go to any of the other area markets.

3. RealFoodMom permalink
    June 5, 2011 7:04 pm

I was crazy about lamb chops as a very little girl, and still am. When my parents went out for dinner without me, and I had a babysitter, that was one of the “treat” dinners my mom made me before they left (the other was breaded, pan-fried flounder). My own children don’t like them, however. Go figure! I am so jealous of Little Miss Fussy’s lamb-fest.

4. June 5, 2011 9:18 pm

May I also make a recommendation? Our friends Liz & Ross of Raven’s Roost Farm in New Baltimore (out 9W) pasture-raise lamb ; they are caring and knowledgeable, and at the Delmar Farmers market every Saturday. Liz spins, dyes & felts wool – Katie has one of her little wool fairies and a custom made winter hat. They’ll gladly discuss details of how they run their little farm, it’s just the two of them.

5. June 5, 2011 9:45 pm

Two words… lamb lollipops. What’s not to love?

6. Ellen Whitby permalink
    June 5, 2011 10:11 pm

If you check with my hubby, you’ll learn that the best food he has ever had at a wedding was at ours. (I don’t remember because the person doing my hair when the hors d’oeuvres were being served burned my neck with a curling iron). Specifically, he loved the baby lamb chops. LOVED them. Personally, I’m not a lamb lover but every now and again, hubby gets a surprise for dinner while the rest of us eat regular (read: less expensive) steak. Good luck on keeping your food budget in check.

7. June 5, 2011 10:31 pm

I grew up across the road from sheep farm – they are everywhere in the moors of northern England. Lamb was a regular (albeit special) part of our diet and it was a surprise to us when we moved to this area just how exotic it seems to be here.

Incidentally, my four year old refers to ribs as “meat on a stick” and eats them very happily – maybe there’s a parenting pattern forming – or perhaps a business opportunity?

8. June 9, 2011 11:52 am

The war against Subway continues, I love it!