Time to Clean Up My Act

March 9, 2015

Winter is coming to a close. This weekend I was in New York City, and even though the ground was still covered with snow, it felt like spring. I left my heavy jacket at home, and even with my lighter coat, I found myself removing it several times while walking down the avenues.

It’s a good thing I was doing all of that walking, because before I left for the city I got on a scale to weigh myself. Let’s just say it looks like all those donuts finally caught up with me. And that 3-5 pound bump was starting to look more 8-10 pounds.

Of course, I didn’t let that stop me from enjoying the trip.

Today isn’t the travel log. While I was in NYC my phone freaked out, so I wasn’t able to check-in everywhere. And many of the places I went were new to me. That means I’ll have to do a bit more recon to give you the full report.

However, our first stop was Ben’s Deli. For a moment it looked like a BonChon chicken was right next door, and I was really nervous. How could I possibly make a choice between Korean Fried Chicken and Deli? It would be an impossible decision. Fortunately, BonChon was still building out the location, so deli it was.

My sister learned a thing or two about ordering pastrami and corned beef sandwiches this weekend. When eating something so unhealthy, I explained that the only way to fly is to go with the gusto. So I always order them “sliced thick and juicy”. Any good deli will know that “juicy” is a euphemism for “fatty”.

Meltingly tender beef fat just makes me stupid happy.

It’s just that now is the time to put on the brakes. Of course I say that today. Maybe two days of walking will have activated my metabolism and the next time I step on the scale the numbers will be in my favor.

But this is just one of those things people do as spring approaches. They start eating healthier. I’m also trying to wrap up some loose ends. For example, I had a gift card to Amazon from Chanukah that was still unspent. Well, I finally committed to one of those cheap ceramic slicers and a hand held immersible blender. What can I say, I’m going to give the technology a second chance.

Now is also the time to make a few batches of chicken stock. It’s so much easier when the temperature in the garage is low enough so that it can act as a giant refrigerator.

I’m also considering picking up a bottle of booze in celebration of the coming spring. I want it to be something green, and I’m deciding between absinthe or chartreuse. Both are loaded with herbs, but they have radically different flavor profiles. Although I do think that absinthe will be better to have on hand for when the weather starts to warm up a bit. There’s nothing quite as refreshing as a well-louched glass of icy cold absinthe on a hot day.

That’s probably not the slogan which will propel absinthe into mainstream acceptance.

Oh yeah, and I may need to finally get a new phone too. Man, what a bummer. I really liked my old phone. They really don’t make ‘em like they used to.

1. March 9, 2015 9:39 am

Where is Ben’s? And I highly recommend trying the pastrami at The Kettle in Greenfield. I think it’s usually a special, so they don’t have it all the time, but it’s worth a call to ask if they have it!

2. March 10, 2015 5:00 am

Daniel,

When we had dinner at Ala Shanghai, I noticed to my great shock that you were rocking an iPhone 3G. It was a great phone in it’s day, but it’s day is long past.

Head on over to the Apple store and get yourself an iPhone 6. You’ll be glad you did.

Your motto is ‘fear no food’. My motto is ‘fear no technology’.

• March 10, 2015 8:56 am

Beat you to it. Picked one up last night. The new phone is pretty sweet. However, even my small 6 still feels large. There will be an adjustment period I’m sure. But you are right. The new phone really does make the old one feel like a dinosaur.

And, for the record, it was a 3GS. ;^)

3. Jack C permalink
    March 10, 2015 8:36 am

I’d go with Chartreuse, but I also don’t like absinthe. To me, the better cocktails are made with green chartreuse anyway. I almost always skip the absinthe or sub it out for a less potent anise flavor, like Pernod or Herbsaint.

4. March 10, 2015 9:08 am

I am not a huge Absinth fan. I spent $165 for a bottle back when it first became deemed ‘legal’ in the states (although whether it was actually ever illegal is a whole other issue). I was sooo hoping to see the legendary ‘green fairy ‘ appear – and even drank enough to do so. But she never came.

• March 10, 2015 9:08 am

*Absinthe

• March 10, 2015 9:22 am

Have either of you gentlemen read this post?

Cheryl’s Meadows of Love when properly louched is fantastic. Part of me just wants to buy another bottle just to bring it around and change your minds.

• March 31, 2015 10:11 pm

I will be the first to admit that I do not have much experience in the proper louche. And perhaps that is why I never truly understood Absinthe (and never saw the Green Fairy). But, I am open to try again.

I will go in on the bottle . . . and you can offer an in-house lesson up in Saratoga for a small group on how to enjoy Absinthe as it was meant to be. Perhaps it will change my mind.