Troy in Winter

November 9, 2009

When I first moved here from California, I went to the Troy Summer Market.  And honestly, it almost brought me to tears.  Not in a good way.  The summer produce was, shall we say, underwhelming in comparison with what I was getting in Berkeley.

However, when winter rolled around we decided to give the market another shot.

Of all things, I found the Troy Winter Market to be wonderful.  This is a town that understands winter, and knows how to do it right.  It’s a good thing too, since the season seems to last about eight months.

I tell you this because the Troy Market has finally moved back indoors to hunker down for winter.  We were just there this past Saturday and while it was good to be back, there have been some changes.  And guess who doesn’t like change.

Really the changes are just to the floor plan.  Vendors have been relocated, and the organizers seem to be trying to make better use of the Atrium’s second floor.  Although it seems there are a bunch more craft sellers.  Perhaps this is a short-term thing that will diminish after the consumer buying frenzy ends at the end of December.

But I had a very difficult time finding my usual purveyors.  I know my potato guy is next to the baker, and my squash and beet people are across from the used bookstore, and my carrot guy is next to the pork case by the stairs.

Now they are all mixed up, and I couldn’t even find my potato guy.

If you look closely at my Yelp profile, you will learn that “I don’t like many things, and am loath to popularize my favorites.”  Thus the vague descriptions of my preferred farms in the above paragraph.

I know it is wrong, and I should share.  So here it is.

Witenagemot Farm has some amazing potatoes.  And they have them throughout the winter.  Last year I was working on eating my way through all the varieties of potatoes I had never encountered before.  But I didn’t get to complete the project.  It was also before I started blogging, so I may have to begin again, this time documenting the process.  That is, of course, if I can find their booth in the new floor plan.

Luckily for me, there were a bunch of farms selling heirloom variety potatoes, and I picked up a couple of pounds at Denison Farm, along with a small celery root.  I have yet to eat them, but they are destined to be cooked in a white bean soup with carrots from my carrot guy.

Friends of ours turned me onto the carrots at Our Farm.  They have some amazing varieties that include red, yellow, white and the traditional orange.  This past weekend they were selling bunches with their bright fresh greens still attached.  But I wanted white carrots for my white soup.  I have no idea where this notion of thick white creamy vegetable soup comes from, but I can’t wait to make it later this week.

Before I can make that though, I will need to find a use for the fresh sage purchased from Slack Hollow Farm, one of the few certified organic producers at the market.  People buy salad greens from them like they are going out of style.  But I have enjoyed their winter squash and beets for the past few years.  In addition to the sage, I found a lovely butternut squash.  Really I went there for the squash, and just couldn’t say no to the sage.

All in all it was a decent trip, but I am really bummed about Witenagemot Farm.  Maybe they were there and I couldn’t find them.  Maybe they were out sick with swine flu.  Maybe they showed up at the Summer Market and wondered where everyone went.  I hope that they come back in the future, and you all get a chance to try some of their delicious heirloom potatoes.  Mmm.  Winter.

1. phairhead permalink
    November 9, 2009 6:48 pm

silly question: is it more economical to purchase produce at Troy Winter Garden or, say, at my local P-Chops?

• November 10, 2009 10:22 pm

I find the farmers mkt more economical & better quality, plus you are buying local.

2. Ellen Whitby permalink
    November 9, 2009 10:04 pm

Why don’t you ask them if they are coming back? Or you can convince them to do so. artsfarm@aol.com

3. November 10, 2009 12:50 am

I feel your pain! I, too, love the winter market and prefer it over the summer one. I was thrilled to have it back in the atrium last weekend. I was, however, also a little confused about the setup. The vendors do change as the season progresses, and a lot of the winter folk were not there this past weekend. Not sure what was going on, but I have faith that they’ll be back. At least I hope so. And here’s hoping that last year’s setup returns soon.

4. Jennifer permalink
    November 12, 2009 10:43 am

Sage and butternut squash go so well together. Sage leaves fried in butter and them crumbled over some roasted butternut squash. Or butternut squash risotto…so many possibilities.

5. Cindy permalink
    November 13, 2009 12:59 pm

Witenagemot Farm was not at the market last week, but they will be back. Their new spot is just inside the doors of the Third Street entrance. There is an information table in the center of the market if you need help finding anything.

6. Monica permalink
    November 13, 2009 11:13 pm

At the entrances to the Market there are directories of where the vendors are. The “crafts” are the Tight Knit Craft Market. They have joined the Market until February. The Market has welcomed a few new vendors since last Winter, so stop and browse and see who’s there. Don’t forget to take in the food court upstairs and the musicians playing as well.

7. art/suzi permalink
    November 14, 2009 5:42 am

Rest assured, we’re at the market. Yes, Witenagemot Farm (and your potato guy) are back beginning today. No swine flu (once was enough), just away. Bringing the potatoes, the winter squash, the greens, the onions, the….just check us out across from the third street doors, in the vicinity of where Denison Farm was last year! And introduce yourself!