The Unthinkable

February 5, 2015

Thank you to everyone who came out to Emack and Bolio’s last night in support of my first Community Ambassador Yelp Event. Thank you to Ken and Amy for hosting the party. Thank you to Marcie for taking so many wonderful pictures. And thank you to everyone who wanted to come, but got hung up by the snow emergency.

I had a lot of fun, and from the looks of it, everyone who showed up did too. In some ways it reminded me of my wedding. There I was surrounded by so many people with whom I wanted to engage in deep conversation and catch up on pressing issues. But the clock is not kind.

Hopefully, I’ll still be able to weigh in on the curling club’s dinner, bond over Chopsticks Optional’s first deep fried burger at Swifty’s, and talk more craft spirits with Jack.

Today, I’m relying on you to help fill in the content, because I am spent. And I can’t even believe what I’m going to ask.

For argument’s sake, let’s say I knew someone who was going to Dunkin’ Donuts. And let’s say that person was skeptical about the deliciousness of these donuts. But let’s also acknowledge that this person has spent zero hours at any Dunkin’ Donuts in the past two years.

Your goal is to lead this person to the tastiest donut in the shop.

Now, what do you think that would be, and why?

Incidentally, if you don’t have much direct knowledge of the chain, you can ask around and provide answers from the Dunkin’ Donuts expert in your life.

Oh man. This is going to hurt. Ready? Set. Go!

1. Debra permalink
    February 5, 2015 10:47 am

I have always liked the chocolate glazed donut. None of the others have really caught my attention.

• David Nardolillo (DEN) permalink
      February 6, 2015 6:27 pm

I agree that the chocolate glazed is Dunkin’s best donut.

2. February 5, 2015 10:54 am

Get the Valentine’s day heart shaped cookie dough filled. It’s totally the best. I promise. You are going to love it. It is delicate and nuanced in flavor. The contrasting textures make it a real treat. Go ahead and get two (the brownie batter filled one is a close second best!). Ol’ Dave wouldn’t lie to you about something like this, now would he?

• Bob W. permalink
      February 5, 2015 1:03 pm

You’re a mean one, Mr. Dave.

*humming the Grinch theme song*

3. buffsoulja permalink
    February 5, 2015 11:08 am

1 glazed blueberry munchkin. Small enough that not much harm is done

4. -R. permalink
    February 5, 2015 11:42 am

My coworkers tell me to go for the plain glazed and the coffee roll (whatever the hell that is). Good luck – you’re going to need it. Way to take one for the team!

5. February 5, 2015 11:56 am

Wait a minute, are you trying to get us to write your “Best Dozen” column for AOA without you violating your pledge never to set foot in Dunkin?

My favorite donut in almost any context is a cake-style buttermilk cruller which oddly enough, they don’t sell at Dunkin. I have often wondered why that it since they lose my business every time I give in and buy them for my kids. Perhaps that particular set of food simulators was missing from their chemistry set.

6. Susan permalink
    February 5, 2015 12:02 pm

…um, still looking for the “none of the above” option…

7. Kerosena permalink
    February 5, 2015 1:13 pm

My sister-in-law loves the strawberry frosted. I will admit to eating a Munchkin or two when somebody brings them into the office. I like the donut to filling (or glaze) ratio on Munchkins.

8. Jack C permalink
    February 5, 2015 2:33 pm

The coffee roll is decent, as is the vanilla cream-filled. The Boston Creme is terrible – the custard is disgusting. None will blow you away and I suspect you’ll have a hard time finding anything to fall into your “Best of the Bunch” over at AOA. The blueberry is a decent option, too.

I’ll also suggest something I haven’t seen since I moved here from Georgia – the Bismarck. It’s like the vanilla cream-filled, but with a chocolate topping. So in that sense it’s a Boston Cream with better filling. I always enjoyed that one, but again, it won’t blow you away. Good hunting.

9. Jessica R W permalink
    February 5, 2015 3:25 pm

In all seriousness, my favorite is the chocolate glazed with chocolate frosting. I think that you would most like one of their peanut coated donuts. It’s not overly sweet.

For the sake of science, you should probably try one of their croissant donuts. It’s nothing like a croissant or any cronut I’ve had, but if you ignore those facts, it’s ok, although a bit too sweet.

This goes without saying, but don’t listen to Mr. Dave!!!!!

• Jessica R W permalink
      February 9, 2015 3:41 pm

I’m glad that I at least didn’t steer you wrong on the double-chocolate. I would have recommended the coconut, but I too thought it was no longer available. I’m not sure if “butternut” is the same thing as “peanut”, but based on the photo, I don’t think so.

10. Norm @ Ridinkulous permalink
    February 5, 2015 7:27 pm

The chocolate butternut is the best by far, although it’s so hard to find these days. Out of the ones you’re more likely to find, blueberry cake maybe, chocolate glazed or apple and spice.

• Jessica R W permalink
      February 5, 2015 9:08 pm

Chocolate butternut? Is that a chocolate/peanut butter mix, or a chocolate/butternut squash mix??

• enough already! permalink
        February 9, 2015 1:19 pm

Jessica….maybe chocolate butterbeer? Haha.
        Actually, butternut is a white walnut, and check out “butternut brownie pie” on Google for a Texas classic but made with pecans.

11. February 5, 2015 10:06 pm

Ok, I don’t even want to admit this but I work at Dunkin (hey, i’m a college student, cut me some slack). So, here’s some insider info.
    Our best sellers are the glazed donuts and the Boston cream. Stay away from the old-fashioned unless it’s early in the morning when they get delivered or if you’re simply planning on dunking them in a hot drink – otherwise, they get rock solid by mid-afternoon. The blueberry glazed and vanilla creme filled are really good. The strawberry, maple, vanilla and chocolate frosted are pretty balanced when it comes to frosting vs dough. I disagree with the two new Valentine’s Day donuts. At least the brownie batter one, way too sweet with all that heavy frosting, sugary filling AND sprinkles. Chocolate glazed is good, the double chocolate glaze is like a dream for chocoholics. The apple and spice donut is decent. The jelly filled are good. Go with the powdered over the sugared.
    You asked for the best donut but people have different tastes so it’s hard. Also, I love your donut series on AOA so I’m going to copy you…
    Best dozen:
    3 Boston Creme
    2 glazed
    2 chocolate glazed
    2 frosted (whichever flavor you prefer)
    1 blueberry
    1 vanilla creme filled
    1 powdered jelly filled

12. Jessica R W permalink
    February 6, 2015 11:27 am

Daniel,
    Once you finish your investigation at each donut shop in the region, will you be creating an “Ultimate dozen” list, compromising the theoretical 12 best donuts in the region, no matter which bakery they are from? Might be a cool idea.

13. February 8, 2015 12:10 pm

Peanut’s my favorite, but they haven’t sold them in this area in years — you have to drive out west a few hours to get them. Chocolate glazed and double-chocolate are pretty good, too. And I like chocolate frosted, but I know that’s a guilty pleasure, not real quality food.